Sunday, April 19, 2015

Visiting San Francisco -- Asian Influences




San Francisco

I recently wrote about Taiwan and Singapore as places to enjoy Chinese New Year celebrations. That made me think of places closer to home with rich Asian traditions--in particular, San Francisco. 

I lived in San Francisco for part of a year and across the Bay in Berkeley and Oakland for five. I have visited frequently since. I'm not particularly fond of cities, but I'm fond of San Francisco.



San Francisco
Cathay House
So here is a quick look at a bit of San Francisco with an eye to Chinese and Japanese influences, and to the plants. 

Of course you will see iconic San Francisco views (And beautiful Pacific Coast conifers.)



San Francisco

San Francisco
Baker Beach
But you can walk neighborhoods well outside Chinatown and find shops with Chinese signs

San Francisco

San Francisco

 street-side plantings with a Japanese aesthetic

                       San Francisco

And yards clearly created as Asian gardens:
San Francisco


San Francisco


When we have a day in San Francisco, my husband and I have a custom of eating dim sum at Yang Sing downtown (bite-sized portions, often steamed, a terrific lunch) and then visiting one of the museums. Since this blog post features Asian influences in San Francisco, take in the wonderful Asian Art Museum whose exhibits continue to enchant me. Likewise, Americans don't have to fly across the Pacific to eat different regional styles of Chinese food, shop bookstores with extensive collections of books in Chinese (for example Eastwind Books and Arts), or Japanese (for example Kinokuniya Bookstore), or buy fine rice paper and ink for trying calligraphy--those things and other Asian specialties can be found in San Francisco. 

San Francisco


These few pictures don't begin to do justice to San Francisco, of course. It has iconic bridges, diverse food, and quirky neighborhoods. I saw my all-time favorite vanity license plate there. It read "WIERD".         

San Francisco

And there are palm trees!

Visit San Francisco!

Most of the photographs are thanks to my brother, Clark Keeler, who lived in greater San Francisco for years and loves photography. Thanks, Clark.


Comments and corrections welcome.

Kathy Keeler

No comments:

Post a Comment